Fee Item 00084
Accompanying Patient(s) to a Distant Hospital
Fee item 00084 may be billed when it is medically essential for a physician to accompany a patient to a distant hospital. See Preamble C. 23. of the MSC Payment Schedule. The following information will help you determine how to use fee item 00084:
Bill Fee Item 00084 for:
- "Portal to portal" time while the patient is under the exclusive care of the accompanying physician.
- Fee item 00084 may be billed once every half hour or major portion thereof.
- Out-of-office hours premiums may be charged in addition to fee item 00084 when applicable.
Services not Included in 00084:
- Other medically required services provided prior to time spent travelling should be billed under the appropriate fee item(s) (e.g.: visit fee, 00081) and the time for performing these services should not be included in the time billed under fee item 00084.
- Medically required services provided at the distant hospital should be billed under the appropriate fee item(s) and the time spent performing these services should not be included in the time billed under fee item 00084.
Do not bill fee item 00084 for:
Layover or return travel time.
Time for standing by.
Time spent waiting for the ambulance/air ambulance to arrive.
Note: Any services provided during travel time are included in the time billed under fee item 00084 and should not be billed in addition to this item.
|Tips:||Start and end times must be entered in both the billing claims and the patient's chart.
Provide the sites that the physician traveled "from" and "to" in your note record to ensure prompt payment of your claims.
Timing for 00084 begins when the physician leaves the hospital with the patient, and ends when the distant hospital is reached.
Claims for travel, board and lodging are not payable by MSP. Medical practitioners who accompany a patient who is being transferred will, upon application to the Health Authority, be reimbursed for expenses reasonably incurred during, and necessitated by, the transfer.
Disclaimer: MSP Tutor is intended to provide a guide for physicians and medical office assistants in billing claims to MSP. For definitive information on fee-for-service fee item codes and amounts, consult the current MSC Payment Schedule. If a discrepancy exists between the information contained in MSP Tutor and the MSC Payment Schedule, the information in the Payment Schedule will prevail.